It’s been said that there are certain songs you listen to and you’re immediately transported back to a specific period in your life. Usually, that involves associating music with people so I bring to you a list of songs and who I dedicate them to. Prepare for the sappiness and cheesiness that lies ahead.
- Waves x Kanye West: To the friend group I made senior year, this song will always be our anthem. What started out as a joke ended up becoming the song that formed the foundation of our friendship. Suddenly the line “even when somebody go away, the feelings don’t really go away” took on more meaning when we all went our separate ways for college but as Kanye says, “waves don’t die” and neither will our friendship. Here’s to hoping that one of us plays this song when we have our beach wedding (step up in this beach like) as they’re walking down the aisle. Fave line: Even when somebody go away, the feelings don’t really go away.
- Say You Won’t Let Go x James Arthur: A song that was overplayed relentlessly during one of my favorite seasons of life, this early 2017 jam was a song that someone close to me dedicated to the person she loved at the time and I remember hoping one day, I’d feel this way about someone. The good memories associated with this song will forever be close to my heart even if the people I associated this song with are no longer together. Fave line: When you looked over your shoulder, for a minute I forget that I’m older.
- Overwhelming x Jon Bellion: The ultimate “crushing on someone” anthem. This one is just too good and even when you’re not crushing on someone, this bop has you feeling like you’re gonna fall in love with the person walking next to you. To the boy who still has me awestruck to this day, this one’s for you. I still do not understand how you get better looking each time I see you. Not to mention that “there is an ocean in your hips, so deep I’d dive” is an immortal line. Fave line: The whole dang pre-chorus.
- Shut Up and Dance x Walk the Moon: When life was sweet, carefree, easier and simpler. This song goes out to everyone who was in my life during 2015 (specifically early 2015). This song will forever remind me that there is more good than bad in this world and that every struggle leads us to an even greater joy that follows. Sidenote: to my high school crush, this one’s for you. Fave line: My discotheque Juliet teenage dream I felt it in my chest as she looked at me.
- Happiness x The Fray: I listened to this song a lot in middle school when I was struggling because I always held onto the promise that happiness comes even though it can be elusive most of the time. I had a friend who loved this band just as much as I did and to this day, I still associate this song with her even though it’s been 7 years since I first heard it. Fave line: Happiness feels a lot like sorrow.
- Footloose x Kenny Loggins: This one goes out to the toxic group chat. Here’s to all the boys whose actions we have overanalyzed and spoken about excessively, all of our schemes and all of the lessons we have learned along the way when it comes to emotional chastity, building authentic friendships and creating a reality that is better than all of our idealistic fantasies. Adele, Jasmine, and Jolyssa this one’s for you. Fave line: Jack, get back, come on before we crack (because Jack is our founding father duh).
- This is Gospel x Panic at the Disco: This is another song that started out as a joke between me and my friends, but ultimately I refer to it as my friendship anthem with Rachel Fatheree because it was THE song that we played a lot when our friendship went from friends who’d say hi in passing at church to actual BEST friends who know everything about each other’s lives. Thank you for all the advice you have tried to give me in the past. Very sorry for not listening because you always have my best interests at heart, but now you have all of this dirt to haunt me forever with. Can’t wait to hear your
roasttoast at my wedding. RIP. Fave line: ‘Cause these words are knives that often leave scars, the fear of falling apart.
- Best Part x Daniel Caesar: The first time I ever heard this song it was spring break during my freshman year of college and my friends decided to play it on the guitar and sing it for me. Needless to say, I was hooked immediately and will always associate this song with those people, no matter how many other people I have jammed out to this song with. Fave line: You’re my water when I’m stuck in the desert.
- Closer x The Chainsmokers: I hate myself for including this song, but I don’t hate the person who I dedicate this song to! Butool Mustafa, this one’s for you and your deep, profound love for the Chainsmokers. I couldn’t have gotten through the highs and lows of high school without you, our roasting sessions and our deep talks. You’re one of the few gems I encountered during high school and I love seeing your life unfold as the years go by. I will always have the image of you speeding down Eldorado while blasting this song, singing at the top of your lungs while we’re on our way to get pizookies or go watch a soccer game. Fave line: The entire second verse.
- Somebody Else x The 1975: To the Awakening sister, I immediately clicked with: Daisy, thank you for being part of my college career from the very beginning. For coming to every Spark release party, introducing me to Pizza Press, crying over One Tree Hill, scheming to get our crushes to fall in love with us, and laughing until we are on the floor. I love you so dearly and I cannot wait until you find your somebody else. ❤ Fave line: I can’t give you my soul ’cause we’re never alone.
- A Sky Full of Stars x Coldplay: To my favorite priest who motivated me to start highlighting my Bible, the best priest to go to confession to, not to mention he’s also a Texas Longhorns fan (hook ’em), I will always be grateful for you. You’ve been there every step of the way from the day after I had my amputation, to my first mass after 4 months, to washing my feet during Maundy Thursday, being at my wish reveal in 2014 (when this song was playing) and being the reason why so many young people are drawn to the faith. You changed my life forever and 2014-2015 will always be golden to me because of your impact on my life during those years. Fave line: Not enough lyrics to have a favorite line.
- Do You Remember x Jay Sean: To my favorite love team aka Kimerald from my elementary days, you two are the celebrities I have gone to extreme lengths for. Luckily my stanning has paid off because I met Kim Chiu twice (2010 & 2018) and Gerald once (2010). It’s been 9 years since the peak of your tandem, but I still feel kilig every single time I watch you two onscreen whether it’s on ASAP or a teleserye. Kim, you’ll always be the Ate I aspire to be and I’m so glad I got to meet you as a kid and as an adult. Gerald, you will always be the reason why I didn’t get crushes on boys who went to my school until I was 11 because my 10-year-old self was convinced that I was going to marry you once I turned 20 and you were 30. Needless to say, I am going to be 20 in 2 months so our time has come (just kidding, maybe, not really). You two will forever hold a soft spot in my heart no matter how old I am. Fave line: Let’s bring it back (bring it back!).
- Like Real People Do x Hozier: Joey Dato, if you’re reading this. This one’s for you. You know how obsessed I am with dancers and one of the first things we bonded over was So You Think You Can Dance? This song will always remind me of how obsessed we were with Casey and Jessica’s dance (it’s been almost 5 years and I’m still obsessed) as well as the early days of our friendship. I truly am proud of how far you’ve come and I look up to you so much. Texas misses the pink sparkle of Joey Dato but I know you were truly meant to live in California. Fave line: So I will not ask you why you were creeping in some sad way I already know.